Judging By The First Glance...

    If you're disabled, the title tells it all.  Have you ever been stared at for periods of time?  Have you been called a "freak" behind your back?   Have you ever thought you were the center of attention, in a bad way?  When children ask, "what happen to him/her?"  Do the parent just take their arms and walk away as you can hear nothing but false they tell their kids?  I'm guessing you have experienced many, many of these situations, way too often.
    Kids are very curious and want to know more about something that intrigues them.  A wheelchair isn't what you see on a regular basis, none the less a power wheelchair moving by itself...?  Kids and people are very confused when they see me.  They stare and look the chair over until they figure out how I operate my chair, and yet some just ignore me as much as they can.  Some responses are different then others and everyone has their own opinion.  I used to get very upset about this and still do sometimes, but if they want to waste their time staring then have at it.   They should worry about not running into something and educate children about disabilities, not try to shelter them from it.  I'm human, just like you.  Yes, I'm in this chair on six wheels that somewhat moves on it's own, but I didn't ask for this.  So, what you should do is support me and educate yourself, yet alone your child.  Children are our future, they need the proper guidance.  Who knows, they may end up with a child that's disabled.  One out of every three Americans have a disability, that's a high number.  So, please don't judge by the wheelchair, it's like my legs it helps me get around.  Educate children, they want to know more about that "cool wheeled thing."  You might learn something yourself.

"Don't judge a book by it's cover until you know the story."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Greatness In God's Miracles

March, Disability Awareness Month

The Month Of March...