Dogs Understand Me

Since I was a little girl, I've had a four-legged, furry companion in my life.  I have adored dogs and their incredible abilities from a very young age.  They're very intriguing to me and when I was in middle school, I decided that I wanted to make them my career someday.  Breeding, training, and working with these highly intelligent animals.  The furry, fluffy, tail wagger that happily greets you with a wet kiss when you arrive home, bringing a toy to you cause they want to play with you, or cuddling up with you as your comforter and protector.

Dogs serve a different purpose to me and I'm certain they know this cause it's been proven over and over again.  Being non-verbal has its major downfalls, especially trying to communicate with people.  Having a conversation with a loved one is very difficult unless they're around me a lot, so communicating with friends, co-workers, or strangers is nearly impossible without the assistance of technology.  It's also time-consuming and draining, both mentally and physically.

Yet with very little training; in the beginning, dogs quickly pick up what exactly I want or need them to do. Most commands or ques are verbal but I also do "foot" signals, both are equally as effective. It's incredible what a dog and someone in a power chair with CP that's non-verbal can accomplish together. Scary actually! I don't have to "try" with dogs, it comes naturally like second nature. They don't see my disability, they see me as me...someone who loves and cares for them.  I've had about 5 dogs throughout my life so far and I have also fostered some and have volunteered at my local humane shelter.  I don't think dogs get the credit they deserve.  I've read many books on these awesome creatures and my dream is to have my own dog breeding and training organization that breeds and trains dogs to have a purpose in life.  They have abilities beyond what we already know, I want to return the favor to them and I strive to do just that.  Dogs get me, dogs understand me.

"If I could be half the person my dog is, I'd be twice the human I am." -Charles Yu

             
AJ & I 2002
AJ Grand Champion 2010 
Ace & AJ 2010
Ace
Kylie & I 2010
Kylie
Coolie & I 1996
Digger & I 2006
Daisy
Kylie & Daisy
Liam, Kylie & I


Check out my other blogs relating to dogs:
Man's Best Friend
Saved From Tragedy By God's Hand And My.Dog

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

March, Disability Awareness Month

The Greatness In God's Miracles

The Month Of March...